Saturday 27 November 2010

St Catherine Set

Thursday was St Catherine's Day and therefore one of my important days. There's no better time to show off the St Catherine vestments I had made earlier this year. The very generous gifts people at my previous churches have given me have partly gone into this which was made by the splendid staff of J&M Sewing in Newcastle. I sent them two tiny sketches and, apart from a phone call to ask what sort of braid I wanted, that was it. 'Do you need anything else from me?' I asked the lady with the Geordie accent. 'Oh that's all right Fawther, don't you worry aboot a thing', she replied. When the box arrived I did not open it without some trepidation. But it was perfect, just what I envisaged. With care it'll last a couple of centuries. One day I will hand it on, perhaps to the church in Abbotsbury which looks after the chapel on the hilltop.

1 comment: