Thursday 22 September 2016

Mishap

It happened to me in Lamford, too. Yesterday the NCT group that uses our church hall couldn't because we're having urgent plumbing work done, so they decamped to the church itself, perfectly happily. I said I'd pop down to rearrange the furniture and lock the door after them, and then come noon realised I'd forgotten. I'll cycle down, I thought, they'll already have gone so there's no urgency, and it'll be better for me and the world than driving.

Little did I know that as I cycled past the tandoori on the narrow part of the road a stationary van would open its driver-side door bang in front of me. I, and the van driver, were very lucky that I ended up with nothing more than scratches and bruises, and a buckled front wheel. I clearly landed on my left side, because it's that which hurts, but strangely I've banged my right cheek too and my cycle helmet is broken across the back, and I can't really account for either circumstance. 

It's so easy to do, and I can't swear that I look in the wing mirror every time I open my car door. Mr Van was probably as shaken as I was, and will pay for the repairs to my bike. 

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear this, but glad that you seem to be ok. Take it easy for a day, if any danger of concussion. When you open the driver's door, always use your left hand to do so. It forces you to swivel your body right, making it more likely that you will spot a cyclist. This is how they teach people to do it in the Netherlands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very good suggestion indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent tip from TL, pleased you're not badly hurt and your philiosophical response noted for my further reflection.

    ReplyDelete