Friday 4 September 2015

Safe Zone

Julie is one of the people I deal with quite a bit. She gets on very badly with her family, has had episodes of homelessness, disruptive relationships and bad luck. She has a car but can't afford to drive it at the moment. She asked whether she could leave it with me - 'you have a big drive'. I do, and said yes - after a bit of internal struggling.

I suppose having Julie's car stuck out in the drive would be, psychologically, my working world intruding inescapably though passively into my domestic one. I worked out long ago that, no matter how generous my living arrangements are (not by my choice), they have to be kept distinct from work and the disrupted people who come my way as a result of it, or I go a bit crazy. I know that it ought not really to be like this, and that a house full of anything from other people's stuff to Syrian refugees ought not to cause me that much of an issue. My need for peace in my surroundings is a reflection of the fact that I bring so much disruption into them myself. If I had internal peace I wouldn't need so much externally.

1 comment:

  1. Kung Fu Panda is told he must cultivate inner peace. He looks thoughtful, and then says "inner piece of what?"
    It's easier said than done, isn't it - you make a very useful point. I guess you need a stable hinterland, as it were, so you can deal with it all out front. So I wonder how much that "ought" really matters, in balance with your vocation? To put it crudely, you could fill your house with junk and with suffering refugees, and watch your work fall apart...
    None of my business of course, but as usual, you've got me thinking.

    ReplyDelete